Skip to navigation
Voices HeardLives Represented Contact Us Today

Can I Use My Health Insurance to Pay My Medical Bills from A Car Accident?

Littleton Law Firm July 7, 2019

The simple answer is yes. But most major medical plans have a right to recover any money paid on your behalf when your being compensated by another party.

It is important to collect any amounts paid by private health insurance or assisted programs such as Medicare and Medicaid. Insurance companies have also developed programs such as ERISA, which amounts Government backed health insurance. The law provides that those plans have a right to be reimbursed when you receive any kind of settlement for injuries.

  1. Contact your healthcare provider and request to see their lien or EOB (Explanation of Benefits)

  2. Once you receive an itemization of those charges submit them to the insurance company responsible for the damages because whatever amount is owed is a legally binding debt and must be repaid.