The simple answer is yes. But most major medical plans have a right to recover any money paid on your behalf when your being compensated by another party. This includes, private healthcare plans and Medicare/Medicaid benefits. If you your major medical insurance carrier paid any of your medical bills, you must:
- 1. Contact the company and file a claim for subrogation.
- 2. Request an itemization of all benefits paid on your behalf.
- 3. Verify that benefits paid were due to the accident.
- 4. Determine if they have a contractual right to subrogation or statutory right.
- 5. If they are classified as an ERISA carrier.